Senior Technical DesignerApply Now
Title: Senior Technical Designer
Location: Carlsbad, California
Company Description: Fast growing performance apparel brand
Salary: $105,000 – $110,000
*Salary is commensurate with experience and is an estimated range provided by JBC
This position will own personal technical design duties. It is fundamentally important that this person embodies a balance of hard and soft skills needed to scale the department for growth: oversee grade standards, monitor vendor quality/consistency, fit cadence to ensure calendar dates are met and facilitate individual development plans within the team. The role of Sr. Technical Designer should inspire innovation within construction / fit and working closely with product development team to collectively make great apparel. This role requires proficient interpersonal communication skills and should foster a culture of respect, connection, and authenticity.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Dynamic in demeanor, leads in a collaborative approach, exercises clear and effective communication, detail oriented.
- Expertise in understanding of fit, patterns, construction, measuring and evaluating samples, materials, workmanship, function, and production feasibility.
- Guides and monitors fit process to ensure “intended fit” is met. Must collaborate with Design, Merchandising and Product Development teams.
- Tracks fit evolutions from factories. Full understanding of styles, historical issues, understanding of fabrications and strong communication internally and externally.
- Proactive approach to QC. Evaluates potential QC issues pre-season and again at salesman sample stages. Reviews / Communicates findings to cross functional teams.
- Coordinate all fit model scheduling and budgets.
- Assists the department with fittings on product categories as needed, range of Men’s & Women’s bottoms and outdoor product segments experience needed. Patternmaking experience is a must, must be able to work on Gerber PDS.
- 3D advocate for efficiency and advancement; utilize new methods of working to improve development processes.
- Lead Global Fit Initiatives which includes competitive market research, competitive product fit reviews, creating body target measurements and grade, creating, and evaluating fit blocks and analyzing consumer feedback to drive final fit block approvals.
- Communicates daily with domestic & international vendors to supplement sourcing strategy, enhancing respected relationships for combined growth.
- Assesses vendor base performance as related to fits, to allocate appropriately based on strengths and quality.
- Ensures consistency within blocks and grades.
- Benchmark fit and quality standards against other key competitors to ensure best in class fit and construction. Works to improve fit and quality through review of customers comments, sales feedback, and understanding of competition.
- Collaborate with the merchandising team to analyze return rate reports and enhance carry over product if necessary.
- Support and drive to evolve TD operations, methods, and efficiencies. Help to build an end-to-end process including key time and action checkpoints.
- Includes travel to Sourcing offices and/or factories to work with factories technical teams to troubleshoot and understand factory capabilities.
- Degree in tech design, pattern-making, and equivalent work experience.
- 7-10+ years’ experience in technical design , ideally within women’s performance/active/lounge categories
- Capable of working effectively in a fast-paced environment with cross functional teams (design, merch, development, and production).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented with experience prioritizing and managing multiple tasks efficiently.
- Proficient in Google/Google Drive/Gmail, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Illustrator.
- Knowledge of computer pattern making is required.
- Knowledge of PLM is a plus.
- Expertise in 3D fit technology.
- Experience communicating with vendors overseas is required.
- Experience in Global markets regarding fit conversion, grade, and size charts.
- Experience in inclusive sizing for men’s & women’s.